Sunday, January 31, 2010

New Student!

I've lost two and gained one now, so I'm at 21. My new student came on Thursday. I met her mom and dad when she came in, during calendar. Cute family. And she's black, but from the neighborhood, not our project, so I'm hoping she might help with my segregation problem... :-)

She sat quietly and shyly for the first few minutes, but warmed up quickly and loudly. She is excited to be in our class. "I'm so happy you're my teacher," she said, as she hugged her arms around my neck after calendar. On our way back from lunch, she started testing boundaries, doing twirls down the hallway. "We walk in the hallway, probably just how you walked in your old school," I told her. She stood straight, hands behind her back, eyes looking forward. I thought so. Then at a later point she said again, "I'm glad you're my teacher." I said, "I'm glad you've joined our class!" Then she continued, "I'm glad you're young. My last teacher was so old and she was this big!" And she reached her arms out on either side of her as far as they could go.

From the mouths of babes.

No comments:

Post a Comment