Friday, January 15, 2010

First Full Week Back

Okay, this was the longest week that has ever been. Last week, we had two snow days, and it was our first week back. In December, we only had 2 full weeks, and they were full of holiday activities and special events, so they all flew by. So it really seems like I haven't had a full week of uninterrupted teaching since November. So this week was looooooong. It's felt like Thursday since Monday. And I'm not exaggerating. But thank G-dawg, we made it to Friday, and I am sitting on my couch. Whewww.

My kids were so sweet and I was so excited to be back and see them. I loved the break, but I did miss their sweet faces and their love. It's so cool to see how they've progressed over the break. So many of them came back seeming to be writing and reading even better, which is fantastic. Of course there are also the ones that came back digressed, but to keep moving forward, I have to focus on the positive.

I've started small leveled groups that I meet with daily. I have six groups of 2 to 4 kids, depending on reading level, then I have one kid reading way above everyone else, who doesn't really fit in any of the groups. So seven different lessons for leveled work each day. One of my brighter kids said to his mom, "Mrs. Flynn has grouped us according to our talents." She said, "Oh. I see. How do you know?" He wasn't able to explain how he knew that, he could just tell. "And are you in a talented group?" she asked him. "I don't know." he replied. Hilarious. Smart little cookies.

I'm also trying to start a new program in my classroom over the next couple of weeks. My lowest kids, who clearly just don't get any attention and who don't get read to, are going to be paired with "parent reading buddies" who come once a week for a 1/2 hour, and meet with the same child each time, and just read with them, to give them some positive adult attention and expose them to good English and fluent reading. I'm excited about the opportunity it will give both the parents and the kids.

Anyway, those were the highlights of week one. Should continue to be interesting and exciting, as we get into these critical kindergarten weeks. In the next couple months, several of the kids will be writing and reading pretty fluently, and hopefully some of my struggling ones will start to pick up on some crucial skills to avoid retention.....only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment