Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Picture Day Stripes and Polka Dots

This morning, I had a phonecall in my classroom at about 7:10. I picked up and found myself talking to the father of my ELL (English Language Learner) student. He has been doing really well, and has had almost no language barriers. He is so so sweet and adorable and so kind and works so hard. This is the first time I have seen a language misunderstanding. Anyway, here's the story. His father called and said, "The reason I am calling is because my son insists that he has to wear either stripes or polka dots today. Is this true?"

I immediately knew where this came from. Yesterday, during dismissal, I was explaining to the kids that tomorrow is picture day, and they do not have to wear their standard school attire, or uniform. A student said, "What's our uniform?" So I was explaining that their solid, collared shirts and khaki (etc.) bottoms are their uniforms. I said, "Tomorrow, you can wear strips, or polka dots, or anything you want!" He understood about picture day, and even told me that he was getting his hair cut for picture day. Well, he went home and told his parents that he could only wear stripes or polka dots for picture day. His dad said, "So, he doesn't have to wear stripes or polka dots?" I said, "No!"

He came in stripes. :-) Love that kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment