Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New Year, New Students, Up and Runnin'!

Well, I had my first full day of school today, and it was fantastic. I love my kids so much. I had such an amazing summer, and it was perfectly-kid-free. I loved getting to travel with B all summer and see him play, and it was the perfect amount of time, because I came back refreshed and ready to go. And good thing, because this class is going to be a handful, and I am PUMPED.

After the first half day, I said to Brenton, I really hope I get a more challenging kid, because right now, uh, I'm, uh..."
"Going to be bored?" he finished.
"Yes."

I need my neglected, behaviorally challenged kids, who look at you like, "And you're telling me what to do why?" when you give them a direction. And today, I got two of them. One, who, as an example, walked down the hallway poking the butt of the child in front of him. "I didn't do nothing!" he said, as he continued to put his hands on the other child. I spent time reading "The Story of Mrs. Flynn" with the two of them during rest time, since I read it with the rest of the class on Monday, and they weren't there yet. They cuddled up, got so excited to see me as a baby, and asked questions and pointed. They were thrilled, and I was in heaven. This is what I live for.

I have a kid this year, that is beyond gifted. He's crazy gifted. And he hasn't been tested yet. But he's quirky, and a very kinesthetic learner. I am so excited about him. I explained that I make my skin with a peachy color crayon. When he started working on his, he picked up the crayon and said, "Mrs. Flynn, this one says apricot. Can I still use it?" This kid is reading the word "apricot." That's not normal.
"Well, aren't apricots sort of a peachy color?" I asked.
"Yes," he agreed, and used it.
On the next day, during one of his perfectionism spurts when he cannot get past something, we were working on drawing our faces. He ended up scribbling all over the face in a fit of frustration, and we worked through the next one together. "Okay," I said, "What does a face need?" And I pointed to his eyes.
"Eyes!" he said.
"And what shape are they?" I asked, all the while, silently begging for his answer to be 'round.'
"Well, they're sort of a deep oval," he said, thoughtfully, while feeling his eyes. After we finally got those drawn, I pointed him towards a nose.
"What shape do you want to make your nose?"
"Nose-shaped," he replied. Duh. I pointed him toward his mouth, to which he picked up the pink crayon and noticed that it didn't just say pink. "Can I make my mouth with carnation pink?" he asked, concerned.
"Well do you think it is your lip color?" I asked.
"I think my lips are carnation pink."

I certainly have my hands full, and I am so excited to see what adventures lie ahead!!! Can't wait for tomorrow. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment